Friday 8 February 2013

Igloo Roadhouse

2220 Maroondah Hwy, Buxton
Buxton, VIC 3711

What do you do when a restaurant offers comically large food? A couple weeks ago whilst chatting at work, Daniel told me about the best burger he’s ever had, served at Igloo Roadhouse. But the only problem is that it’s 90 minutes of scenic driving away from Melbourne. Being a foodie however, the lure of burgers was too hard for me to resist, and a day-trip was soon organised. 



Igloo Roadhouse really is in the middle of nowhere, hovering around the outskirts of the little town of Buxton, approximately 100km away from Melbourne. But the drive there, through towering forests and idyllic wineries, was more than a little pleasant, especially on a warm summer day.


Buxton Burger ($13.8)

“The Buxton Burger ($13.8) is big”, Daniel warned. I wasn’t too daunted; it’s just a regular double ‘the lot’, right? Clearly I was wrong, and I was thanking my lucky stars I didn’t order The Cathedral, which was triple ‘the lot’, and would’ve left me on the ground frothing at the mouth had I attempted to conquer it.  As I went to eat it, something that had never happened before happened – the burger was too big to eat. But I don’t mean that I couldn’t fit it into my mouth (though I couldn’t); I couldn’t physically hold it in my hands properly.


Buxton Burger ($13.8)

I spent the next 5 minutes alternating between picking up my cutlery, not knowing where to start, putting it down, then picking up the burger, and putting it down in the fear that it would collapse upon itself. In the end Daniel advised that I cut it in half; it felt like cutting a triple layer steak cake. Now I can’t comment on this burger as a whole; I had no way of getting a bite the way it was originally intended to be eaten. But the bacon had crispy edges, as did the bun. And the beef, whilst a little rubbery and dense, was nicely flavoured and beefy. The accompany salad didn’t stand out as being either good or bad, though I did miss the pickles.
 


In the end, this was the best I could do, though Daniel managed to finish his burger – kudos to him. And if you still don’t believe me on how big it is, Matt Preston took scales and a ruler to it so I didn’t have to. It weighed in at 588 grams and 12cms tall. I told you it was big.

Maybe gnawing on bits of cold beef and egg, trying to decide whether or not potential vomiting is worth the satisfaction of finishing the burger, doesn’t sound like much of a good time. But sandwich that with drive through rural Melbourne, valleys, and towering trees, and the day suddenly becomes much more enjoyable than I could’ve possibly expected. And as for the burger itself? It’s actually rather tasty.

Rating: 13.5/20 – drive and a food coma.

Igloo Roadhouse on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. That is impressive! And I must say - value for money for how gigantic it is. Love that you made a day trip out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great drive out on such a beautiful day; you should go - I'll be waiting for yor blog post on The Cathedral! :p

      Delete